Macdonald joined the University College staff in 1927 as an associate professor of English. After a year as a visiting professor he took over the secretaryship of the Combined Department of English from Clawson, William Hall. After three years he was succeeded by James R. MacGillivray.
Harris, Robin S. English Studies at Toronto A History. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1988.