Joseph L. Rotman School of Management
The University of Toronto business school is named in honour of the founder and CEO of Clairvest Group, Inc. Its home on St. George Street was built in 1995 and a large addition completed to the south in 2011. The latter incorporates one of the remaining St. George Street mansions, the John Downey House at 97 St. George.
The Joseph L. Rotman School of management of the University of Toronto was first found as the Diploma in Commerce established in the Department of Political Economy in the Faculty of Arts in 1901. It later become an independent business school. It now offers, both full time and part time, an MBA program, an Executive MBA program, an MMPA program (Master of Management and Professional Accounting) and PhD programs along with various joint programs with other faculties.
William Ashley's appointment in 1888 marks the beginning of the Bachelor of Commerce program at the University as he was the first professor of Political economy and constitutional history in the faculty of Arts. Around the turn of the century, as many North American universities were forming a business school, UofT started offering commerce courses with James Mavor's lead. Mavor strictly followed the Birgmingham model that Ashley created at the University of Birmingham after returning from UofT.
In 1996 it obtained its current name, The Joseph L. Rotman Faculty of Management to recognize the two benefactors, Joseph and Sandra Rotman.
John Crispo was the first dean of The School of Management. Other Deans that were key in the success of the School of Management were, Max Clarkson (1975-80), Douglas Tigert (1980-1985), John Sawyer (Acting Dean, 1985-86), Roger Wolff (1985-92), Hugh Arnold (1992-97), and Paul Halpern (Interim Dean, 1997-98).
The Rotman School of Management belongs to the Social Science Division of the School of Graduate Studies and the Dean of The Rotman School is Chair of the Graduate Department of Management in the School of Graduate Studies. It is also a member of the Executive Committee of the division.
 John Sawyer, An Historical Perspective 1901-1998.
L.W. Richards, University of Toronto: An Architectural Tour, Princeton Architectural Press, New York, 2009, pp.120-1.