From Senior College EncyclopediaJump to navigationJump to search
The Department of Experimental Philosophy began at the University of Toronto in 1843, with Professor H.H. Croft as its first professor. He represented the entire range of sciences with the exception of Physics, which fell under the name of Natural Philosophy, and was for the most part mathematical.
In 1853, the Department was split into three sub-departments:
Natural History (later, renamed the Department of Biology in 1887)
Geology and Paleontology
Craigie, H.E. A History of the Department of Zoology of the University of Toronto. Toronto, ON: University of Toronto Press, 1962.