Architecture, Landscape and Design

From Senior College Encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search

Department of Architecture (1890) - School of Practical Science): first architecture program in Canada; renamed School of Architecture in 1933

Bachelor of Architecture (five year) 1928

Courses in town and regional planning added in 1933; landscape courses added in 1934

Faculty status in 1967.

Name change (1998) to Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design

2008 current name: John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design

Neat, Timothy, and Gillian McDermott. Closing the circle: Thomas Howarth, Mackintosh, and the modern movement. Fife: Inyx, 2002.


Deans and Directors

C.H.C. Wright (1934-1957)

Colonel H.H. Madill (1934-1957)

Milton Osborne (Acting Director, 1957-1958)

Thomas Howarth (1958-1974)

David Scott (Acting Dean, 1974-1975)

Faculty abolished on July 1st 1975. Administration of the Deapartment of Landscape Architcture tranferred to Faculty of Forestry; Department of Urban and Regional Plannning dissolved, with its admisistration, faculty and courses transferred to the Deaprtment of Geography; Dpartment of Architecture reported directly to the Vice-Provost for Professional Faculties.

Peter Prangnell (Chair, Department of Architecture 1975-1976)

Department became the School of Architecture on July 1st 1976

Jeffrey Stinson Acting Director, School of Architecture (1976-1977) 

Blanche Lemko van Ginkel Director (1977-1982)

Jacob Spelt Acting Dean (1982-    )

George Baird

Anthony Eardley (Dean, 1988

Larry Wayne Richards (Dean, 1997-2004)

Richard Sommer


Headly James Acland (    -1976)

Eric Ross Arthur 1898-1982

Adrian Berrington


Department of Architecture

Department of Landscape Architecture

Department of Urban and Regional Planning