Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
Originally called the School of Practical Science, established in 1873, this Faculty (2010) has an enrollment of over 4,000 students and a faculty of some 219. It sprawls over more than a dozen buildings on the St. George Campus including the Galbraith Building (the main administrative centre), the Sanford Fleming Building, the Wallberg Memorial Building, the Mining Building, the Haultain Building, the Rosebrugh Building, the Mechanical Engineering Building, the Bahen Centre for Information Technology, and the Terrence Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research. Off campus, on the northern edge of the city, the Faculty also embraces the large Institute for Aerospace Studies facility.
Departments, Divisions and Institutes
Division of Engineering Science (EngSci)
Institute for Aerospace Studies (UTIAS)
Research Institutes and Centres
Rynor, Michah. ‘Looking back: the naughty-naughts,’ University of Toronto Magazine, 27, 1 (Autumn 1999) 38. Creation of the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering and the Class of ’00 .
White, Richard. The Skule story: the University of Toronto Faculty of Applied Sceince and Engineering, 1873-2000, University of Toronto Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering, 2000
Hall, Don. “A Short History of Engineering Science at the University of Toronto,” November 1970.
L.W. Richards, University of Toronto: An Architectural Tour, Princeton Architectural Press, New York, 2009, p.68.
John Galbraith (1906-1924)
William Hodgson Ellis (1914-1919)
Charles Hamilton Mitchell (1919-1941)
Clarence Richard Young (1941-1949)
Kenneth F. Tupper (1949-1954)
Roland R. McLaughlin (1954-1966)
James M. Ham (1966-1973)
Bernard (Ben) Etkin (1973-1979)
Gordon R. Slemon (1979-1986)
Gary Heinke (1986-1993)
Michael E. Charles (1993-2001)
Anastosios (Tas) Venetsanopoulos (2001-2006)
Christina Amon (2006-present)