Anderson, Fultin Henry
Philosophy / Ethics
University College (1924-1963)
MA, PhD, LLD, DLitt, FRSC
Head, Department of Philosophy 1944-1963
Fulton Henry Anderson was born 23 May 1895, in Morell, PEI. He received his BA from Dalhousie University in 1917, and subsequentlt an MA (1918) and PhD (1920) from the University of Toronto. Anderson then taught, as an Assistant Professor, at the University of Clorado for the next three years, returning in 1924 to the UofT as a Lecturer in the Department of Philosophy at University College. He was subsequently promoted to Assistant Professor in 1926, to Associate Professor in 1929, and to Full Professor in 1934. He replaced G.S. Brett as Head of the Department; and in 1945 was made Head of the Department of Ethics at University College as well. He maintained both positions until his retirement in 1963. He later (1966) became acting Chairman of the Department of Philosophy at Huntington College of Laurentian University. He died on 11 January 1968 in Charlottetown, where he was Visiting Professor of Philosophy at Prince of Wales College.